Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  Wanna call me goth....?
Psycho_Chick
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:54 am  Reply with quote
Teh Fuzzy Cuteness
Teh Fuzzy Cuteness

OK boys and gals.. here we go.. Goth Rant Part 2...

I would just like to set the record straight on where I stand on this whole "Goth" thing. It has been updated and revised for your reading pleasure.

*Disclaimer- These are my opinions, I am not a representative for an entire subculture, nor do I pretend to be..... Proceed with caution*

1) Goth is NOT synonymous with Hot Topic. Those 13 year olds running around with their hot topic bags havent experienced enough life to know who they are yet. They're buying in to a new way to exploit a one time beautiful and interesting sub/counterculture. I feel the same way on this as I do about selling pre-torn jeans... Its supposed to happen naturally, not come pre-packaged. Individuality is not something you can buy. As nice as this store is for those with these tastes naturally, I believe it is moving towards the destruction and overall consumtion of this group into mainstream culture which is exactly what is was against in the first place. Ignorant, spoiled, rebellious without a cause or clue, teeny boppers are only providing more confusion and misunderstanding of this culture.

2) I will come to terms that I am a "Goth Chick." I base this on many interests and tastes of mine that I feel no need to get into at the moment. I give in... It's a fitting name in the truest form of the title, not the current butchering of it. Rest assured - this does not mean I am sad all the time, am addicted to drugs, worship Satan, or idolize Marilyn Manson.

3) The word Goth irks me in the same way that the words Jock or Geek do. I guess I'm a snob but when I hear those titles used repeatedly it makes me think a person is lacking vocabulary and ability to further classify beyond generalizations in a high school manner. I understand that they are common words that express a common understanding of a concept but they still bother me none the less.

4) Despite all this... Hot Topic does sell awesome boots and being called a goth chick aint so bad since goth chicks are typically pretty hott... Wink

Thank you, and good-night!

kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:11 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

ZOMG Where were you when this DB Wink joined the server and is all like zomg worship satan blah blah God if I knew that kid I would have beaten the crap out of him, he was just so stereotypical thinking goth ment listening to metal music and all that bull shat.

And indeed goth chick are hott, I know like 5 and DAMN Very Happy

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site
Demasu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:45 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I, for one, do not think of you as a goth, Psycho.
#1 I agree with
#2 oh, come on don't give in Razz
#3 (your opnion there, not really anything I can comment on(although why I'm commenting on any of these idk))
#4 I would have no clue about the boots they have, I usually avoid the store, actually I tend to avoid driving after this whole 30 hours to go 300 miles thing, but whatever.
Idk what all these other people are smoking, but I will agree with the being hot part. Embarassed Good Idea

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nerve-ana
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:47 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

like i guess this is was becouse of me lol sry but if it was the hot topic thing was just a joke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:53 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

my bad lol

CBC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:02 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

While "goths" think they are being original and individual I think they are less individual by being a goth in the first place. Its a sub group of conformist that conform to the movement which they see as being non conformist Confused

But anyways its just what I see down here in CA, probably the "teeny boppers" you mentioned. They travel in packs and all wear their hair the same, wear the same clothes makeup etc.

9-11-01
Psycho_Chick
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:23 am  Reply with quote
Teh Fuzzy Cuteness
Teh Fuzzy Cuteness

CBC wrote:
probably the "teeny boppers" you mentioned. They travel in packs and all wear their hair the same, wear the same clothes makeup etc.

exactly as you say... those are the types i cannot stand the sight of. they have no original thought, only a desire to piss off their parents and get stared at. As someone said to me, and I will have to agree with him, "Goth is not a fashion statement but a state of mind. Most people don't see that. This is another reason I hate Hot Topic. Clothes are nice but they dont make a person what they are when it comes right down to it. People put so much emphasis on what each other wear that they cant tell who really is anything underneath. I've met quite a few people that others wouldnt consider goth but I kinda would despite the fact that they dress in brightly colored casual attire. Clothes do not make the (wo)man!! Wink

By the way I have and avid adoration of sociology which is why I enjoy ranting on topics like this. Its always nice to get multiple perspectives. Good Idea

Oh and I've ranted on this before I just figured I'd bring the rant back for the noobies of the forum. I no longer take offense to being called "goth" for the reasons I stated above. Good Idea

InfernoWarrior
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

can u put that in a easier term of reading psycho chick??

Monster Man
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Or maybe these 13 year olds ARE goth. Ever think of that?

So you want these people to be different? Well, they are and thats why you're bashing them. When you are wearing a tshirt, i can bet you 100 people are wearing it the same day.

Anyone wearing a blue tshirt?

So how about we leave all the annoying 13 year olds alone and bash someone else like John Edwards. Now he's a poser.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I dont see what she said as so much as bashing, I believe it takes time to find out who you really are and I dont think when your 13 (well I know) your mind is not developted enough to fully understand everything the world has to offer. Most of these 13 y/o kids think of the main stereotypical goth as dressed in black and listening to metal.

rawr

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site
Lizzeh`
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I hate Hot Topics style, Love the accesories though. Unfortunaately it's way over-priced for my taste. Black isn't my color either.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:16 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Location: Tenn.about 30mins from chattanooga. ever hear of Dunlap?? didnt think so

Ok well first of all Im sorry that I refered to you as goth. I had no intention on it being took that you were a drug pushing beer drinking,depressed lil girl Razz I was just refering to the style. I for one like the goth or biker look but not in the extream. you all have seen my pic.
I have about 20 tshirts from hot topic. I love metal music. But I also like rap,some country,blues, and even a lil classical.Oh and jus for the record I dont drink, dont smoke(any thing!) or pop pills Very Happy Good Idea I like the image not the life style.

Monster Man
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:26 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

Or maybe these kids actaully know who they are?

Maybe they like the way they are acting.

Who are you* to judge them?

* - directed to no one in particular.

Those bots will never be on the server nor care about the server's running.
The Howling Man
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I'm a teenager. I have no clue what I'm doing nor what I want to be in life. Therefore I'm stupid, as are my choices.

Flawed logic.

While I admit there's much I don't know, there is still much I do. I can make my own decisions, judgements, choices, and actions. Frown upon them if you will... in no ways am I rebellious towards my parents and I make my choices and decisions based on my own thoughts, wants, and necessities, and I never do stupid things intentionally.

If you're going to rant about stereotypes... show some respect for the younger crowd please.

Otherwise, great rant.

-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:59 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Psycho_Chick wrote:
CBC wrote:
probably the "teeny boppers" you mentioned. They travel in packs and all wear their hair the same, wear the same clothes makeup etc.

exactly as you say... those are the types i cannot stand the sight of. they have no original thought, only a desire to piss off their parents and get stared at.

I cannot stand the people that dress in all black and have spikes on their jacket. They have no original thought, only a desire to piss off thier parents and get stared at.

( I dont really think that, but I believe you can tell where I was pointing out)

Last edited by -SoldierBoy- on Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total