Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 1
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  Can I overclock?
Bentdog
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:28 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Okay for a travel computer, I have a new HP dv9317cl notebook, and It runs like s**t. It was only a grand at Sam's Club and I wrote it off....lol. So its free. And I purchased a 2 year warranty, so If I burn it up I'll get a new one no questions asked...Smile

here's the thing ias it even possible?

This is the basics of what I got........

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-52
1.6GHz processor speed
512KB+512KB L2 Cache
Up to 1600MHz system bus running at AC/DC Mode 35 watt
1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
160GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) (= okay but a pile crap fo-sho)

I really dont care what happens to the notebook, but If it will become a instant bomb, im not interested. I can replace it, but dot want just to see what happends when you add C4 to a pc. lol. If its not worth it...tell me. If I need to upgrade the cooling system, so be it. But I need help to make a pinto into a mustang....lol I hope I get help on this science project....ooooooohhhhhhhh ya I got Cha-Ching, so its not a hurdle. So hit me up pretty please....Smile

BentDoG

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I probably wouldn't, too little space in them creates horrendous amount of heat, you could also corrupt the hard drive, you'd also cut your battery life with the extra current........but if you must, remember more cooling is required, liquid cooling would be nice, a tray for your laptop if liquid cooling is not preferred.

Since I have never clocked a laptop (only desktops), here is a guide to follow, but it certainly isn't the only way to go about it.

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/detail.php?id=15

Hopefully a better explanation is given here by people who know more, since I know my knowledge in this area concerning laptops is limited.

Goodluck!

kibblesnbits
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:41 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

over clocking will void your warrenty, so if you burn it up its your own fault and they dont have to replace anything.

www.GuildWarsRealm.net GG site
The Crimson King
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:57 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

keep in mind, it's a dual core. i don't know if overclocking would be any different in a dual as compared to a single, but i'd definately look it up to be safe.

and yeah, it will void just about any warranty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gilliam
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:27 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

dont overclock, it can handle HL2 fine.
i have the HP zv6000.
-amd ath64 3200+, 512MB ddr ram, ati express 200, dvd +/- dual layer rw, 80GB hdd, wifi(of course, modern lappy = wifi)
its actually better than the base zv6000, some minor revision number. i got it at fry's for $800 last year.

please go download at www.pcdecrapifier.com , the program of the same name, it will remove the crapware like the norton trial, aol trial, and other crap you dont need(musicmatch) but b e sure to KEEP "Sonic" for the cd and dvd recording unless you can install something better.

now thats how you make your new laptop faster Smile (as replacement for bloated norton, get avg at http://free.grisoft.com )

Toughsox
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:08 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

What Gill says is 10000% percent correct. You most liekly have 12 icons on the lower right paert of your screen.....all those things are auto-running. You need to have 2 icons there in my opinion.......the speaker, and whatever antivirus you are running. PERIOD!!!!
Not sure if you are running Vista or XP......and while Ive never heard of the programs Gill mentions (I do all my tweaking thru msconfig) he is right, you have to get those trial things out, and get all the autorun things shut down as well.

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:33 am  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Yup, toughy's got it. Use msconfig to kill all those performance anchors that load at startup.

Here's my tip of the week. If you know it already, great. You win the prize. Razz

Before you do anything - set min/max Virtual Mem to 50 MB. Reboot, defrag twice, then set Virtual Mem to 2GB (2x your physical memory). This gets your disk in order before you start loading crap all over the drive and gives you a dedicated, contiguous block for VM. Always manually set min/max to the same number to avoid disk thrashing that happens when you let Windows do it dynamically. Twisted Evil

If you have the capability, set up a whole 2, 3, 4 Gig partition (whatever) on the drive just for Virtual Memory. Good Idea This really helps on servers that have loads of client read/write requests.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Toughsox
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:58 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

See....us old people know a thing or two. Smile

Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Bentdog
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I know how to uninstall acting programs in start up, and of course know their running and killing the speed. Thats the first thing I do to any pc. Still it seems slower than s**t. I have two icons in start up, and on desktop, have C:/ drive and trash can. What more can I do. I defrag, one a month and dont download crap on this notebook. Is it the Vista thats killing my speed. My window xp at home, runs just fine. Windows Vista Crap? Help me...... Sad Should I upgrade ram?

Im gonna throw this crap notebook out the window pretty soon. Smile

Bent

Oh ya, Sam's club dont ask a single question about return. They have a super cool return policy. I have bought and returned 3 plasma TV's in the last year due to problems. Ohh ya and dont buy a Visio Plasma...they suck ass....lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Well, I for one will say that 1 gig for Vista is barely enough, regardless of what the box might say.
You still didnt mention from msconfig, how many items are running.
Also, if you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, look at PROCESSES and see how many are actually running. Not all the things running will show up as icons.

As for returning it, no DrewBob, Im sure there is nothing physically wrong with it......its just running a ton of crap in the background.

Truth be told......if it were mine, Id format it and put XP on it....but hey, thats just me.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Click START > RUN and type MSCONFIG next to OPEN. Click on the STARTUP tab and kill non-essential stuff. If you're not sure, list all the "startup items" from the first column here and we'll be glad to walk you through which to kill.

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
StaR
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:19 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

I found this website a while ago. It determines if something in startup is necessary, resource hog, or a virus/trojan/spybot.
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:04 am  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Toughsox, true msconfig can stop alot of unnecessary startup items Smile
check out "hijackthis". its primary purpose is to find and kill browser hijackers and other malware from startup loading and service running and can use just like msconfig but removes them completely(use it for the obvious startup garbage, then use msconfig so you can reenable something u shouldnt have disabled).

angry: if you have the hard drive space for it, setup a partition to use only as dedicated virtual memory, thats how linux does it. alternatively use an old 4 or 6GB hdd, something small but not too slow.