Chips' Fun House Forum Index

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chips' Fun House Forum Index  ~  Our Clubhouse - General Discussion  ~  So who really cares about alternative fuels?
Bentdog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:22 am  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with a 7.3l and am soooo interested in bio diesel. But have you seen the redicules set up you need. It must cost super boo-koo bucks alone, at at best its still about .50 a gallon. Plus you smell like fish and chips as you drive down the road. lol. When its refined ill defently hook it up. Till then, Propane looks more apealing for the money. Till it gets more affofdable for the people, I guess Ill ilegally fuel up with my contractors card with red diesel...lol. 1.26 a gallon. Smile If ya know what that even is...lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:42 am  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

I think you drink a little bit too much of that red diesel. :-X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:54 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Red diesel is tax free.......so what did I win?

Dont mistake my kindness as a sign of weakness!!!!
Offense doesn't win matches.......big friggin' guns do !!! Ole' Painless FTW !!!
-[CfH]-Server Admin
CORRAN
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:24 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Soldier
Forum Soldier

.....well I certainly hope ppl are interested in alternative fuel, the air is not getting any cleaner and the amount of black gold pumped out of the earth isn't exactly being replaced.........

Mr. Happy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:56 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Sniper
Forum Sniper

Heating oil . . . FTW

What other server let's you do stuff like this?? -Chips
-[CfH]-Server Admin
Foxtrot
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:53 pm  Reply with quote
Forum HW
Forum HW

FFS, people are being blinded by the whole euphoria around this global warming BS...

Cars don't actually produce THAT many carbon emissions. In economic terms the car will actually produce more carbon emisssions even before the engine has been turned on for the first time than it will in a life-time of driving. Industry is where all the big emissions are being made.

I read in the paper yesterday that to make ONE V6 engine in the Holden (GM company) engine facility it takes 630 LITRES of water. This was after they had spent millions of dollars inproving the efficiency of the plant. To build an engine it used to be more than 1000 litres.

Quick fact: The new Porsche 911 emissions while driving around LA are actually cleaner than the air that goes into the engine.

Case and fact closed.

-SoldierBoy-
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:37 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Using Bio-fuels is BS. Even if all the corn that America produces were to go toward fuel, it wouldnt come close to meeting the demand. The best hope is Hydrogen fuel cells, but those are far off still.

StaR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:35 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Hydrogen is BY FAR the one with the most potential, but those are way way way into the future. Right now, the only thing really able to keep up with the demand of the oil companies is...oil, pure and simple. Now, if we could start making cheaper Hybrids, tax-free environmentally friendly items, and maybe a government discount on certain items, that would ease the market considerably, maybe even encourage people to screw oil and take up something else.
Biodeisel I'm not too confident about. The last thing I want in my car is something that I hated eating as a kid.
Hydrogen, FTW IF we can speed up progress.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Helium-3, a isotope of Helium, is the best chance that Fusion power has to be useful. The only problem is that He3 is only found on Earth in decommissioned Nuclear Weapons. The solution? The moon. Because the moon has no atmosphere, He3 is in much of the soil, so look for mining operations on the moon in the future.

Bentdog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:23 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

Toughy you win a free hand alcohol sanitary hand wipefor all the detergent they add. Filling up sucks a big one.... Smile The performance is the same in the truck, but boy do I smoke...lol. And the turbo back 6inch Banks monster exhaust dont help either...Smile The bullydog +120 hp programmer is the shiznit thought. Noone gets 16.4 mpg on a 7.3l with out major stroker work....Smile I love my diesel Smile 670 lbt at 1700 rpms... pull a house with that...Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:34 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Medic
Forum Medic

To respond to the Hydrogen concepts being better on the evoirment, by far is the truth. However Star the cheapest hydrocar is around $200,000 where anyone in ther right mind woundnt by that. I heard 30 years before hydro cars will be economically reachable for the general population. Sux; but its the truth Sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:50 pm  Reply with quote
Forum Scout
Forum Scout

Bio-diesel won't scale. Hydrogen is an energy storage tool, not an energy source. You can't mine hydrogen, you have to put energy into making it. That energy is then just stored in the hydrogen.

Its true cars don't produce that much CO2, but cars burn only a small part of the fossil fuels. How do you think they fill up the Walmarts with all that cheap stuff from China? And what is made of? Plastic. That is... oil. Ships, trains, trucks, plastic. Cars arent' the real issue. Fossil fuels are.

Rent "Crude Awaking" for a scary picture of a future world without cheap energy. Right now, by burning dead dinosaurs, we can move you, four of your friends, and all of their luggage 1 mile down the road for about 15 cents. These days of cheap energy are numbered. About the only other cheap engery mother nature already made for us is uranium. Thats a growth field.

Short term, best bet is plug-in hybrids. Run on home electricty for short trips, but have some fuel on board for longer trips. The home electricty can come from wind power, nuclear, solar, coal, whatever. "Who Killed the Electric Car?" is a decent DVD too.

Dark Applepolisher
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:40 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Very right about the hydrogen, ksix. I don't have a damn clue about how efficient hydrogen is versus other suggested alternative fuels, but I do know one thing. Hydrogen fueled cars wouldn't do s**t if we're producing the hydrogen by using fossil fuels for the electrolysis.

Once our power infrastructure is significantly changed enough so that it's not as dependant on fossil fuels, then I won't have any beef with any of these methods of powering cars. Sigh, don't let me down govenment, and build more nuclear plants.

-[CfH]-Server Admin
Chips
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler
Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Dark Applepolisher wrote:
Once our power infrastructure is significantly changed enough so that it's not as dependant on fossil fuels, then I won't have any beef with any of these methods of powering cars.
Probably the single biggest issue holding back future plans. The nations delivery system of both refined and non refined petrolium products is huge. Pipelines deliver product to refineries and regional stations all across the country. The cost of replacing that alone with whatever we would need to faithfully deliver energy...would be astronomical.

Oil will be gone in probably another 40 years...they better come up with something...fast. Rolling Eyes

This is an awfully long read...but, there's some interesting points to absorb.
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

The only good game, is a fair game...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways! George Carlin - 1937-2008

-[CfH]-Server Admin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Demasu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote
Forum H4xor
Forum H4xor

Did anyone see the show on discovery called 2057? If you did then hopefully that will happen.

RL the ultimate roleplaying experience
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger